Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

Due to the requirements of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), employees and/or supervisors should apprise the Office of Human Resources of any sick leave absence that exceeds one week in duration. This includes absences which exceed one week due to injury on the job (workers’ compensation cases) or absences that are anticipated as a result of scheduled surgery or treatment. A notice should be returned to the Office of Human Resources immediately following the fifth consecutive day of absence. FMLA requires covered employers to provide up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave to eligible employees for the following reasons:

  • For incapacity due to pregnancy, prenatal medical care or child birth;
  • To care for the employee’s child after birth, or placement for adoption or foster care;
  • To care for the employee’s spouse, son or daughter, or parent, who has a serious health condition;
  • For a serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the employee’s job;
  • Military Family Leave Entitlements (eligible employees with a spouse, son, daughter, or parent on active duty or call to active duty status in the National Guard or Reserves in support of a contingency operation may use leave entitlement to address certain qualifying exigencies such as attending certain military events, arranging for alternative childcare, addressing certain financial and legal arrangements, attending certain counseling sessions, and attending post-deployment reintegration briefings);
  • FMLA also includes a special leave entitlement that permits eligible employees to take up to 26 weeks of leave to care for a covered service member who has a serious injury or illness incurred in the line of duty on active duty.

The employee should contact the Office of Human Resources regarding a return to work date to evaluate if a reasonable accommodation can be made for any restrictions and/or regarding leaves to care for a dependent, a covered service member, or military family leave.

FMLA Forms and Notices

Parental Leave

The purpose of the Paid Parental Leave is to provide parents additional flexibility and time to bond with their new child, adjust to their new family situation, and balance their professional obligations.