Under supervision of the Operations Manager, Supervisors, Associate Director – Chief of Police, and Director of Public Safety, the public safety dispatcher position involves answering the telephone, getting a location and sending appropriate response units to calls for service. Depending on the type of call, the dispatcher will need to dispatch police, security, fire, emergency medical and other public safety services. The public safety dispatcher must possess the ability to handle both task-oriented duties and people-oriented duties as well as multi-tasking and remain focused under potentially stressful situations. In addition, a dispatcher must possess problem-solving and critical thinking abilities, and be able to function independently or as part of a team.
The position will require availability for all shifts including weekends.
• APCO Certification desirable.
• Successful completion of APCO training course, if not previously possessed, prior to employment with the department.
• High School Diploma or Equivalent.
• Ability to speak clearly and concisely during both telephone and radio communications.
• Ability to deal with the public in a polite and tactful manner.
• Ability to maintain composure during emergency situations.
• Basic computer skills.
• Good multitasking skills.
For consideration, please submit a resume and cover letter addressing job qualifications and the names of three references via http://apply.interfolio.com/128833
Lafayette is deeply committed to creating a diverse community, one that is inclusive and responsive and is supportive of each and all of its faculty, students, and staff. All members of the College community share in the responsibility for creating, maintaining, and developing a learning environment in which difference is valued, equity is sought, and inclusiveness is practiced. All Lafayette operations reflect the College’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, Access, and Inclusion (DEAI) initiatives, and Lafayette welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds.