The Carpenter – General trades position is responsible for completing carpentry-related work orders and preventative maintenance as required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Perform and demonstrate journeyman proficiency in maintenance, repairs, and minor construction projects involving the broad trade of carpentry, including related tasks such as masonry, concrete, painting, hardware installation and repair, glazing, roofing, and building maintenance.
2. Work with little or no supervision following broad written or verbal directions.
3. Read or work from drawings and perform mathematical calculations normal to journeymen/tradesmen.
4. Demonstrate a willingness to work overtime for projects of an important or emergency nature.
5. Identify and seek out solutions to problems and solve these problems.
Education and/or Experience: To successfully perform this position, a person must be able to perform each duty. The qualification requirements listed below represent the minimum levels of educational achievement, training, skill and/or ability necessary.
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Requires 5 years of experience installing, repairing, and maintaining carpentry-related items.
3. Trade school certification preferred.
Physical Demands: Must be able to walk, talk, hear, stoop, crawl, climb stairs, and lift up to 50 lbs. Must be able to work indoors or outdoors and be able to evaluate and report on work. Must have specific vision abilities, including close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls and to talk and hear. Occasionally the position requires the employee to work extended or irregular hours. Possess effective communication, judgment, planning, and human relations skills and will be required to work under periods of stress due to the level of the position’s responsibility.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Terms of Employment: 12 months/260 days
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the American with Disabilities Act and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to: http://apply.interfolio.com/127881
Lafayette is deeply committed to creating a diverse community, one that is responsive, inclusive, and is supportive of each and all of its faculty, students, and staff. All members of the College community share in the responsibility for creating, maintaining, and developing a learning environment in which difference is valued, equity is sought, and inclusiveness is practiced. All Lafayette operations reflect the College’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, Access, and Inclusion (DEAI) initiatives, and Lafayette welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds.